Sunday, January 31, 2010

Noise

Sorry you guys for the delay. My blog has not been functioning correctly. It hasn't been accepting my posts.

The concept of "Noise" was new to me this week. I always looked at noise in terms of unorganized sound. However this week noise showed itself to be anything that distracts one's mind from drawing conclusions. The ads on TV have become second nature and they move our subconscious to impulsively buy, buy, buy. The noise of our cell phones interrupts our thoughts and only raises the number of jolts we encounter each day.

I have come to realize that the jolts of society are essentially the average persons drug of choice. Most people have become accustomed to having a certain level of jolts each day. We seek them out through gossip, the Internet tabloids, news headlines, reality TV (or not so real) and anything else that stifles our own thoughts. Realizing this has made me become aware that I should monitor more closely why I have the need to read a text message as soon as it comes. Why has my mobile communication gained so much leverage in my life?

Questioning these common practices is all the introspection one needs. Culture Jam wants us to take a look at our life critically. Possibly some of us need to snip some of the pseudo-umbilical cords we have created. Let go of Brangelina's life and get out and live our own. Connect back with nature. Give yourself a break from TV and feed your mind with a book. Let's not forget that when you read that book, it is important to filter what you accept and reject from it. Don't let everything in.

6 comments:

  1. I also have looked at noise as just random sounds. After reading Culture Jam I have now realized that the laptop I am typing on is considered "noise". The TV I hear in the background is also "noise". I think that many people would not make it a day without their cell phone, ipod, and many other electronics. It has become so bad that some people refer to these items as "their life."

    ReplyDelete
  2. True! Noise can be seen in so many different ways. In human communication class, it was considered mental thoughts and processes and just how the mind thinks overall. I believe it is the same in this situation. I agree with Tiara as well, many people would not live a day without their cell phones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also never realized how much noise was affecting my life. I thought it was crazy that my parents expected us to put away everything and sit down to at least one meal a day as a family, but after reading Culture Jam I truely understand it was so important to them. They didn't want us to be distracted from family time everytime our cell phones went off because it seems no matter what is going on, everyone will stop to see what their phone is doing. I don't think about of people could survive one day without their cell phone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with those last two sentences. It definately important to do that. And I too have come to the conclusion that 'noise' is not just something random or something that stands out. When I listened closely to the sounds I usually tuned out, I noticed how much quieter it could become without them on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you used the example of your cellphone and how it has so much leverage in your life I related that back to my life. My cellphone is constantly on and when I receive a text message it become my main priority. I agree with what you said and I also wish to detach my self from things like television.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very thoughtful, well-written blog Chelsea! I liked the way you posed "Jolts" as our "drug of choice" and your admonition to spurn the "Brangelinas" and get on with our own lives. Well said!

    ReplyDelete