Friday, April 9, 2010

The Temperature at Which Paper Burns- Fahrenheit 451

For some reason I have had a difficult time getting past the beginning of the last 2 novels. This is probably most due to my lack of sleep which decreases my ability to stay awake. Needless to say this novel is a much easier read than the previous. I was pretty much hooked once he stole the book from Mrs. Blakes house. I realized then that the beginning was working up to this moment.

Bradbury used Clarisse to bring out how unhappy Montag was. He subtly deals with the unhappiness and suicide attempt of Mildred by having doctors come and take all the "bad stuff" out. The irony overflows from the story when Beatty states that the point of burning books is to act as "the custodians of our peace of mind." (pg. 59) He elaborates that one cannot have the minorities stirred so that if the "Colored people don't like Little Black Sambo. Burn it. White people don't feel good about Uncle Tom's Cabin. Burn it. [...] Take your fight outiside, better yet to the incinerator." (pg 59). This passage could not be more untrue. Burning paper with words does not erase the feelings that they create. But the real crime is to stop them from being written at all.

Bradbury shows us with Beatty's next explanation that it was not the government who allowed print to go out of preference, but it was the people. Our natural desire to have whats fast and in picture form has allowed our lives to be controlled without a fight. This novel clearly illustrates its relevancy in today's society as we witness the decline of library checkouts. I was listening to National Public Radio a few weeks ago and they were running a program that identifies products that will be obsolete in a few years. I.E. products or services going extinct in the next 20 or so years. Libraries were on the list because most visitors of the library go there to use a computer not check out books.

Sadly many people I know are okay with "not being a reader." It has become socially acceptable to just not be good at it or not like it. It is truly sad to witness the downfall of literature. Bradbury was just one of many that saw it coming.

4 comments:

  1. I agree totally. The book has some way about it to draw you in, but yet actually gets a point across in a very strange manner! I really liked how you pin pointed Bradbury's main point on people being ok with not being a reader. I also think that is a very good point that is some what hidden throughout the novel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you completely. I think Clarisse is an extremely important character, and as we pointed out in our group she resembles Violet dead on. Great post and points!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book has also grabbed my attention and is a enjoyable read. I like how you ended this about being a nonreader. Until this class I do not think that I had read a book unless it was my textbook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the book from the start. At first I had no idea what they were talking about and then my imagination started taking over. There are some really great metaphors used in it. Like how the doves are used to represent the books as hope and life. And I too would have to agree that without this class, I would have read few books. It actually got me interested in reading and that's the truth. "Feed" is so far my favorite. But this comes in pretty close too.

    ReplyDelete